Academic - MA - Overview
University of Chester
Master of Arts: Entrepreneurial Leadership in Global Business
Starting with our August 2014 intake, applicants for the Mountbatten year in London are able to enroll in a new and innovative Masters degree offered by the Centre for Work Related Studies, of the University of Chester - one of the longest established educational institutions in the UK.
The degree which is offered as an integrated programme directly connected with the student's work placement is considered a full-time programme and will be delivered in London during the 12 month internship experience.
Entrepreneurship, leadership and the opportunities provided by global business are at the forefront of business education, and Mountbatten is very excited to be able to offer its participants the option of taking a degree whose 'time' has truly come.
Among the features of this Masters is the chance for students to engage in work-based integrative study, as they utilise their internship experience for graduate credit and participate in carefully organised and assessed practitioner research which not only adds value to the trainee experience, but which also provides direct benefit to the student's sponsoring company.
A cutting edge curriculum
The MA in Entrepreneurial Leadership in Global Business is predicated on research indicating that entrepreneurship can best be taught when experiential learning is at the central core of the overall graduate experience. Consequently, there is very little which is merely conventional about this leading edge graduate programme in business.
In a recent global survey, over 90% of applicants to graduate business schools were seeking developmental experiences, which would significantly enhance the leadership, global business and entrepreneurial skills necessary to build their careers. This graduate programme is designed to do exactly that.
Furthermore, skill surveys undertaken by executive recruiters repeatedly indicate that leadership, global business knowledge and an entrepreneurial mindset are the critical skills, which are in urgent demand among their clients at global Fortune 500 companies. This graduate programme is focused on exactly those critical skills.
More than just 'real world'
Entrepreneurs identify real problems in society, create innovative solutions and commercialise those solutions to a target market. Entrepreneurs working within a corporate context become highly valued contributors who ensure that their businesses address the six themes critical to the success of every business:
- Who is your customer?
- What can you do for them?
- How do they acquire your product or service?
- How do you make money from your product or service?
- How do you design and build your product or service?
- How do you scale to widen and diversify the revenue stream?
The deeper thinking required in this unique graduate programme will challenge our student trainees to seek and find answers to the following questions:
- How do you develop the idea, technology and passion necessary to get started?
- How do you select a target market?
- How much annual revenue could you earn if you achieved 100% market share of your target market?
- How do you develop a profile of your targeted customer?
- What is the lifecycle of your product/service?
- How do you create an overarching design for your product/service?
- What are the value proposition and the value chain for your product/service?
- What is your CORE... your "secret sauce" which is not easily duplicated?
- How do you define your sustainable competitive advantage?
- How do you determine who has the power to influence your targeted customer at the point of sale?
- What is the process for acquiring a targeted customer?
- How do you calculate the cost of customer acquisition?
- How do you calculate the lifetime value of an acquired customer?
- How do you estimate the size of ancillary or follow-on markets?
- How and when should you design a business model?
- How and when should you create a pricing framework for your product/service?
- How do you demonstrate to first, second or third stage venture capital investors or funding sources that your targeted customer will buy your product/service?
- How and when do you develop the "next act" – the new product/service you will develop and the new markets you will enter?
- What metrics need to be put into place to determine if the product/service you are offering is successful (or not) early in the process?
- What is your "exit strategy" - if your business strategy needs to be changed or you need to sell or close the product line or service?
Innovative yet disciplined responses to each of these questions bridge the experiential gaps between the "Start Small... Fail Early... Scale Quickly" conventional algorithm. This integration provides both the necessary and sufficient conditions for developing the successful entrepreneurial mindset so valued by Fortune 500 companies and so critical for launching your own business.
The leading edge content of the modules, the personalised corporate sponsorship experiences and the highly customised developmental experiences (the Triple Negotiated Experiential Learning Module serves as a personal capstone), all crystallise to form the critical core of this unique career-building experience.
The Mountbatten Institute New York program is licensed by the New York State Education Department.